What is cancer?
Cancer is a worrisome disease, in which some of the body’s cells grows uncontrollably and gets spread to other body parts as well. Cancer can be developed almost anywhere in the human body, which is made up of trillions of cells. When cancer cell develops, it hampers the functionality of that organ and disrupts oxygen supplies resulting fatal untimely death.
What causes cancer?
In simple way, cancer is a genetic disease, it is caused by changes to genes (the basic physical unit of inheritance) that controls our cells function, especially how they grow and divide. Cancer cells grows rampantly and obstruct the normal functionality of the effected body parts. Besides change in genes, smoking is still at large the biggest cause of cancer and cancer deaths worldwide, obesity, unhealthy life style with poor diet and drinking too much alcohol also increasing number of cancer cases and deaths across the globe.
Types of cancer-
There are four main types of cancer:
- Carcinomas – A carcinoma begins in the skin or the tissue that covers the surface of internal organs and glands.
- Sarcomas – A sarcoma begins in the tissues that support and connect the body.
- Leukaemia – Leukaemia is a cancer of the blood. …
- Lymphomas – Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, which is part of the body’s germ-fighting network
The most common Cancer –
- Breast Cancer- The most commonly diagnosed cancer worldwide which is being largely found in women and less in men.
- Lung Cancer- The second most common cancer in lung cancer, in order to lower the risk of lung cancer, it is strongly recommended to quit smoking on priority.
- Colon and rectum Cancer- A cancer being found colon or rectum resulting making the abnormal large intestine.
- Prostate Cancer- Though a slow growing cancer but a leading cause of cancer death.
- Skin (melanoma) Cancer – Skin cancer or melanoma gets develops in specialised cells called melanin, which give colour to skin.
- Stomach Cancer- A slow growing cancer which occurs in the stomach. The main cause of stomach cancer is an unhealthy lifestyle, alcohol drinking, smoking, highly processed and salty food.
Who is at most risk for cancer?
Generally, cancer can be developed in any age but majorly increasing age is the biggest risk factor for developing cancer. People aged over 65 have the greatest risk of developing cancer while people under age 50 have a much lower risk of cancer. Though cancer isn’t exclusively an adult disease , cancer can be diagnosed at any age.
The treatment of cancer depends on the development and stage of cancer. The treatment of cancer consists of chemotherapy, radiation, hormone therapy, surgery and medicines. Some people have only one cancer treatment while most people undergo a combination of treatments. Clinical trials might also be an option to be considered.
Can you live a long life after cancer?
Absolutely yes, it is indeed possible to lead a long life with cancer. We must not to get panicked with cancer rather deal with it with patience meticulously. Though most cancers can be cured with proper treatment and medical care. A healthy and balanced lifestyle facilitates lowering the risk of cancer
Ways to reduce risk of cancer
The good news is that cancer can be cured, we can minimize the risk of cancer by changing our lifestyle and food habits. A small initiative will bring a big change in our lives, following are the more ways through which we can ensure a healthy life-
Treatment of Cancer-
- Quit tobacco and alcohol – As tobacco and alcohol both are one of the major cause for cancer and cancer death worldwide.
- Ensure a healthy diet – Healthy nutritious food not only builds and maintains a balanced health but minimise the risk of cancer too.
- Maintain a healthy weight with proper diet while being physically active.
- Don’t forget to get regular medical check-up periodically to avoid unwanted medical issues.
Top 10 cancer hospitals in the world
1.MD Anderson Cancer Centre
Department- MD Anderson Cancer Centre, City -Houston TX, Country- United States
2.Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre,
Department- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, City -New York, NY, Country- United States
3.Mayo Clinic – Rochester,
Department-Department of Oncology,
City-Rochester, MN, Country-United States
4.Dana-Farber Cancer Institute,
Department- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute,
City -Boston MA, Country-United States
5.Institut Gustave Roussy,
Department-Institut Gustave Roussy,
6.Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin,
Department-Charité Comprehensive Cancer Center,
7.Asan Medical Center,
Department-Asan Cancer Institute, City-Seoul,
Country- South Korea
8.The Johns Hopkins Hospital,
Department-The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, City – Baltimore, MD,
Country- United States
9.Samsung Medical Center,
Department-Samsung Comprehensive Cancer Center, City-Seoul, Country-South Korea
10.The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre,
Department-The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre,